What to expect when interviewing as a Maintenance Engineer.
The specialist Engineering Team at Stirling Warrington has come together to look at what the typical interview questions asked are. This article will focus on the topic areas recently qualified engineers should expect in an interview. We recommend becoming knowledgeable in the following areas to be best prepared for your interview. In this blog, we’ll take a closer look at some of the maintenance engineer interview questions you will encounter. This blog’s topic includes the following:
You’ll talk about your qualifications and skill sets
Part of the interview will ask questions about your qualifications and skill sets. This could include your qualifications and education. You should talk about the qualifications that you have gained in the past and how they relate to the role. These could include Undergraduate degrees and any Postgraduate courses. You should mention what topic areas you have covered and how they relate to the role. In addition, you could mention any everyday skills you have that would help assist you in the engineering environment. Some examples of questions could include:
- What educational qualifications do you have for a maintenance engineer?
- What skills do you have relevant to the position?
- Everyday skills – communication, time-management, organisation, problem-solving. For example, tell me about a time when you overcame a problem you faced?
To help you out we have put together an answer to one of the questions:
Interview question: What educational qualifications do you have for a maintenance engineer?
You’ll go through your work experience
Another part of the interview will focus on your work experience. These questions will help to identify your fit for the role. Some questions will ask you about any specific experience you have within the industry. It will help the interviewer to get to know your understanding of the role and what skills you can bring to them. An example of some questions would be:
- What work experience do you have in maintenance engineering?
- What skills are the most important in maintenance and why?
- What skills do you have that will help you to stand out as a maintenance engineer?
- Do you have any specific heavy plant or manufacturing experience? Is it similar to the role?
- Have you worked in a similar environment to the role?
Interview question: What work experience do you have in maintenance?
Interview question: What skills are the most important in maintenance? And why?
You’ll go over any gaps in you CV
Another part of the interview may focus on your CV. Within your CV there may be gaps or areas that need some extra information. The interviewer may address these during the interview. To prepare for this you should read through your CV and briefly think of some questions that could be asked. Some questions could include:
- Briefly walk me through your CV?
- Is there anything that is not mentioned on your CV that you like to discuss?
- What do you know about the opportunity?
Overall there will be specific areas that the interview questions will be based on which this blog has focused on. These include skill sets, qualifications, work experience and questions based on your CV. To go above and beyond you should try to mention any additional specific skills that will help you to stand out from other applicants. Furthermore, come prepared with some questions to ask at the end of the interview. They will be able to see from this how thoroughly you have investigated the position and how eager you are to land the job.